Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My house in Delhi - The Untold Story

Before I start writing this thread, there are a few things I need to mention. Many of you might believe after reading this thread that I have written nothing but a mere story and nothing is true in this. Of course, I can't (and do not intend to) influence your thought process, but I wasn't the only witness to the following incidents. My mother and my sister had all witnessed and experienced these along with me.
I was living in Delhi with my mom and sister, my father is in marine so he was mostly away. On a winter night in January 2002, I finished my studies for the upcoming college exams and lied on my bed. The time was around 11:30pm; I switched off the light and stretched my body under the blanket. Not even a minute had passed when I felt someone slapping on my feet. I jumped up and switched on the light. No one was there. I thought my sister was playing a prank on me. I went to her room and found her and my mother fast asleep. Thinking that it was my mistake, I went back to my room and slept.
The next night when as I lay on my bed I felt as if someone was there in my room - a feeling that you get when someone is looking at you from a distance. I got up and as expected found no one. After that for a few nights it seemed as if some shadows were walking around my room at night, the moment I used to get up they vanished. I told my mother about it and she said I was over-stressing myself and should take my studies and life a little easy.

Mom and sister

Ten days after this incident started I fell very sick and the doctor declared that I had typhoid. He gave me a lot of medicines to take and one dose was at 1:30 at night. Mom asked me to sleep in their room so that she can get up at night and give me the medicine. That night mom put the alarm for 1:30 and we went to sleep.
When I woke up the next morning I found my mom sitting on the bed with a grim face. I asked her what happened. She looked at me and told me (in a way that she herself wasn't believing what she was saying) that when she opened her eyes last night at the sound of the alarm she saw a huge shadow on the ceiling (the bed lamp was on) and it seemed that the shadow was staring down at us hanging from the ceiling. There wasn't a thing in the room that would have created such a shadow. She got so scared that she hid herself in the blanket and went to sleep.
My sister laughed at her and said she would wake up that night and give me the medicine. But she saw the same thing that night - a shadow on the side wall staring down at three of us.
Becoming more obvious the next morning mom went to office and my sister went off to college. I was lying on my bed trying to read something when I heard our pet dog Popeye yelling at the top of his voice in the drawing room. I jumped up and ran to him. I found him running around the room and shouting at 'someone' invisible in the room. As if someone was walking all around the room and Popeye was trying to chase and bite him. When I called his name he literally jumped on my lap and started crying. He was shivering and he didn't stop until I put him on my bed and sat beside him hugging him tight.
Every night we used to take him on our terrace after dinner. From that night he started to run in the terrace chasing and barking at someone. He used to get furious if we tried to stop him or bring him down.
After that things like these became more regular. We had instances of the pressure cooker falling in the kitchen, the chopping board falling from the hook all by itself. My mom continuously told us that it was her fault that she didn't keep the things properly in the kitchen but me and my sister knew she herself wasn't convinced a bit with her explanations as we were.
We used to get up in the morning to find out the sofa's position was changed in the drawing room, the chairs had moved at two corners of the room all by themselves and many more things like these. My mom finally called a priest from the nearby temple and did a 'haven' at home. For seven days everything was normal, from the eighth day it started again.

Living with the Unseen

One evening mom came home early. The door was locked as both I and my sister were away. She said as she opened the main door of the house she saw a little boy, around two year’s old running inside the house towards the kitchen. My mom ran behind him and found no one in the house. The same evening I found two handprints of a baby on the dust that gathered on my wardrobe. This was the time I did the Blood Mary thing and my mirror got cracked.
To cut this short, many more incidents happened like,
I . My five goldfishes died mysteriously on the same night
ii. Mom saw a figure walking down from the terrace and walking in the balcony
iii. We heard someone stomping and jumping on the terrace at night
iv. Someone broke a solid steel rod on our terrace that was used for drying clothes
v. My sister saw a shadow behind her in one afternoon and fainted

The Reason

Finally we thought of asking the neighbors around. We feared that they would simply laugh at us and think we were mad, but what they told us made a lot of sense. They said the entire block where we lived was built on a Muslim graveyard and some of them had seen shadows outside their homes at night. Then we knew the reason why things were happening.
Soon I left for Bombay and we left the house for good. Our floor has new tenants now but I do not know whether they are having similar experience or not. Thankfully whatever happened in the house, we were not harmed physically. This was my story. If you want to ask me anything or leave any feedback, please feel free to do so!!!

No comments: